- Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Full Time
- Competitive salary includes medical insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution. Working America is an equal opportunity employer.
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don't have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Organizer 1 will work primarily to identify and develop member activists and leaders, mobilize workers to take workplace action on key issues, conduct outreach to organizational allies, and assist the State Director in planning and executing earned media events.
Reports to: State Director
- Contact Working America members and workers generally to stimulate interest in organizing through direct contact to include, but not limited to, telephone and online communication, site canvassing, workplace outreach, and door canvassing;
- Mobilize Working America members and workers to take action around program initiatives and workplace issues;
- Move members up a ladder of engagement and develop Community Action Teams and Worker Action Committees by industry or workplace;
- Use online tools to identify and engage workers and members;
- Conduct outreach to allies to build support for Working America organizing objectives in coordination with the State Director;
- Track outreach and development using database tools;
- Write regular reports for internal and external use;
- Assist in coordinating earned media events;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong writing and verbal skills;
- Ability to represent Working America to a variety of allies and audiences;
- Strong ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines and maintain good records;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and independently;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Some travel required;
- Some previous experience or knowledge of community or worker organizing preferred;
- Critical thinking and analysis skills;
- Must be able to work irregular and long hours;
- Must have access to a personal vehicle on a daily basis to drive to worker meetings.
- Minneapolis, MN
- FLSA classification: Exempt