Organizer 3 (Fixed-Term)
- Washington, DC, USA
- Full Time
- Benefits include health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don't have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Organizer 3 is responsible for providing guidance to the organizing program, as well as participating in member development and workplace organizing activities in their assigned geography. Working with the Regional Director to ensure the quality and cohesiveness of Working America's organizing program, the Organizer 3 will train and lead the work of a local team of organizers responsible for developing member activists and mobilizing workers on key issues. In addition, the Organizer 3 will be responsible for their own daily participation in member development and workplace organizing activities. This position is fixed-term with an expected end date six months from date of hire.
Reports to: Deputy Political Director
- Direct Organizers in their work, including weekly, monthly and yearly goals; work plans; work priorities; member activist development, workplace organizing strategies, and campaign implementation;
- Conduct daily and weekly debriefs and planning with the organizing team, provide training and support around needed organizing skills, and conduct performance analysis of each individual Organizer;
- Train new Organizers and provide guidance over the development and training of all Organizers in the assigned geography;
- Provide guidance to the Organizers' in their use of member databases and other systems;
- Conduct regular analysis of the work in each Organizer's office, make strategic recommendations about the direction of the work, and participate in the strategic planning and implementation of all workplace and community organizing efforts;
- In collaboration with the State Director, take the lead on outreach to allies and events as they relate to Working America's organizing objectives;
- Create and lead policy campaigns connected to organizing;
- Create and lead earned media events;
- Engage in research related to organizing targets and strategy;
- Reach out to Working America members and workers generally to stimulate interest in organizing through direct contact (i.e., telephone and online communication, site canvassing, workplace outreach, and door canvassing);
- Mobilize Working America members and workers to take action around program initiatives and/or workplace issues;
- Move members up a ladder of engagement and develop Community Action Teams and Worker Action Committees by industry or workplace;
- Use online tools to identify and engage workers and members;
- Track outreach and development using database tools;
- Write regular reports for internal and external use;
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-4 years' experience as an Organizer with Working America or equivalent experience;
- Program leadership, team-building and strategic experience strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement long-range plans and to lead other staff in the execution of these plans;
- Knowledge of national and local structures of the labor movement, familiarity with new forms of organizing;
- Effective time-management skills including prioritization and managing multiple responsibilities at once;
- Ability to work independently in politically sensitive and high pressure environments;
- Creativity in new forms of organizing workers and the community, excellent problem-solving and relational skills;
- Computer proficiency and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel occasionally;
- Ability to drive personal vehicle on daily basis;
- Must be able to work irregular and long hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Spanish fluency skills preferred in some areas.
- Washington, DC
- FLSA Classification: Exempt