Campaign Communications Specialist
- Washington, DC, USA
- Full Time
- Competitive compensation package includes health insurance and 401(k) with employer match.
Job Title: Campaign Communications Specialist
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don't have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Campaign Communications Specialist will research, draft and edit digital and print communications; support campaigns using social networks, blogs, text messaging and digital advertising; and support the organization's text messaging program.
Reports to: Communications Director
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Writing & Editing:
- Working with the Communications team, draft Working America email messages, digital calls to action, and blog posts;
- Draft and edit field reports and national newsletters called Message from the Field;
- Draft op-eds, LTEs and public and internal documents, including but not limited to brochures, leaflets, campaign reports, annual reports, field materials, memos and articles, among others;
- Interview Working America members, draft their stories, and convert into content for the necessary communications channels;
- Conduct background research and develop briefings on issues, candidates, funders and other topics.
Digital Communications and Social Media:
- Develop branded online communities on the organization's behalf using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and other social media platforms;
- Expand the organization's use of social media tools to tell our story through digital and print media to reach target audiences, including opinion leaders, reporters, public officials, and members;
- Liaise digital and social media strategies with the AFL-CIO Digital Communications department;
- Help support campaigns, increase member attachment, recruit new members and drive messaging;
- Assist in developing print/multimedia graphics, layouts and Powerpoint presentations;
- Using the Mobile Commons platform, maintain the Working America text message program;
- Develop and execute small-scale digital advertising campaigns, and work with vendors and other staff on larger ones;
- Develop and maintain an informed awareness of topics of interest to Working America to most effectively carry out duties;
- Work with coalition partners to promote campaign and organizational goals;
- Monitor news and online activist communities to find and develop breaking campaign opportunities in Working America's core areas;
- Cross-functional support of all communications needs.
Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS NEEDED:
- At least 2-3 years of campaign communications experience in a union, political, or progressive issue campaign environment including at least one year of experience in digital communications and social media required;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and ability to work independently as well as on a team;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs;
- Demonstrated experience meeting tough deadlines and providing fast turn-around of quality communications and working in a high-pressure environment;
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills, with an ability to operate in a highly organized fashion;
- Demonstrated political skills and good judgment;
- Strong background in, or strong familiarity with, the labor movement, movements for progressive social change, and political or issue campaigns;
- Demonstrated interest in making a career in the labor movement;
- A strong understanding of organizational goals, procedures and protocols, and the ability to work within these parameters.
FLSA classification: Exempt