Digital Communications Assistant
- Washington, DC, USA
- Full Time
- Competitive salary and benefits package includes health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don't have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Digital Communications Assistant will assist with organizing and supporting campaigns across digital platforms, assist in producing content for the organization's presence on social media, respond to and engage with member communications online and by phone and assist with state issue and electoral advocacy. The position is a fixed-term position, with a planned end date of Dec. 14, 2018.
Reports to: Associate Communications Director
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Assist with the creation and sending of targeted email messages.
• Manage lists and data to support digital campaigns.
• Build and deepen member relationships by creating content for use on Working America's social media channels to increase engagement and build issue and electoral awareness.
• Help support local, state-based and national campaigns; increase member attachment; win legislative and electoral campaigns; recruit new members; and drive messaging.
• Help messaging and responding to members via blast and peer-to-peer text messaging applications and other engagements.
• Assist with developing and launching digital advertising campaigns.
• Identify creative ways for Working America to engage across social media platforms.
• Help the Communications Department create reports to uplift digital efforts internally.
• Research materials for use on digital and print media.
• Assist in the production and publication of website content.
• Oversee Working America's email and text message inboxes and respond to member inquiries.
• Manage voicemail inboxes for Working America survey tools.
• Monitor news and online activist communities to find and develop campaign opportunities in Working America's core areas.
• Provide cross-functional support of all communications needs.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS NEEDED:
• Demonstrated effectiveness in creating and executing digital campaigns
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong background in, or strong familiarity with, the labor movement, movements for progressive social change and political or issue campaigns
• Attention to technical and editorial detail
• Demonstrated experience meeting tough deadlines and providing fast turnaround of quality communications and working in a high-pressure environment
• Ability to stay focused on a particular task, independent of others
• A strong understanding of organizational goals, procedures and protocols, and the ability to work within these parameters
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Ability to work long and irregular hours where necessary
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
• Graphic design
• Knowledge of HTML/CSS
• Washington, D.C.
• Full-time/fixed-term ending Dec, 14th 2018
• FLSA classification: non-exempt